Tuesday, August 10, 2010

50 States Unit Study + Recipe

You may remember THIS POST
where I was trying to decide
if I should take the plunge
and do a 50 States unit study
with my kids or not.

I decided to go for it
and we've been enjoying our study so far.
We are doing the states in alphabetical order,
trying to study one state per week.
We have to take a little longer
for a state a couple of times,
but we've been doing pretty good staying with it.

One of the activities that we do for each state
is choose a recipe that has something
to do with that state
(using an ingredient grown in the state or a traditional recipe from that state),
and we make it together.
I take pictures as we go through it step-by-step
and then I print up the pictures
and the kids write about how we made it.
This goes into their 50 states notebook,
along with a copy of the recipe.

We're a little behind making a recipe for Arkansas
(which we studied last week).
I was planning on making a rice dish of some kind
since rice is one of the major crops grown there,
but Kayla wanted to make
Tater Tot Casserole
(a recipe from the Duggar family),
because the Duggars are from Arkansas. LOL!
I thought that was pretty cute
and since we haven't yet tried Tater Tot Casserole,
I think I will oblige her. =)

Today I'm sharing what we made for Alabama...

Blackberry Swirl Cake

Ingredients:

1 box Yellow Cake Mix
12 oz. fresh blackberries
1/3 C. sugar
2 TBS. flour

1. Prepare cake mix according to box directions. Pour cake batter into a greased 13x9-inch baking dish.

2. Mash blackberries with sugar, leaving some larger pieces of berries. Mix in flour. Place spoonfuls of berry mixture in a varied pattern on top of cake batter. Run a knife back and forth, up and down to “swirl” in berry mixture with cake batter.

3. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.

Yummy fresh blackberries!


My two personal chefs. =)

Finished masterpiece!

What kinds of activities do you like to include
in your homeschooling to make learning fun?

I'd love to hear your ideas!
Blogger Templates

2 comments:

scrambledhenfruit

Adriel,
Thanks for visiting my blog and signing up to follow my posts. I'm not a homeschooler, but I do teach in a classroom. I think your 50 states project is a fabulous way for your kids to learn! I also think you are amazing to be able to do this with a new baby. Your cake looks great- easy too! Thanks :)

Unknown

Thank you, I appreciate your comment! I think you're amazing to teach in a classroom! It takes a special person to do that. =) We're still figuring this whole thing out with a new baby, but it's getting there and we're sticking with it. Thanks for stopping by! =)

Post a Comment